Sunday, April 19, 2009

Discovering Politics

I grew up in a strongly Democrat household. My mother ,who grew up in Haiti where her mother was principal of the American school there, went to graduate school at American University in Washington D.C. for International Affairs is very into politics and my earliest memories of politics have always involved my mother and her strong opinions in matters such as health care and 3rd world development. My father is native to Italy and received his citizenship a few years after marrying my mother is also very political more in regard to Italian politics but is also very liberal when it comes to U.S. politics.

When I was younger politics to me was just that some people are Democrats and other Republican. It all seemed very divided to me. Now I focus more on Political articles and matters that deal with the county as a whole and try not to get caught up in the debates between liberals and conservatives. I used to feel very detached from politics but after voting for the first time in the recent election I felt a lot more connected and able to have some control. The first time I felt politics hitting closer to home was in high school. My best friend's father was a State Representative at the time and was involved in a minor scandal that started a media frenzy in our town. She would have to sleep over my house some night because reporters would swarm her front yard on a daily basis and everyone seemed to have an opinion on the matter. I would watch her and her family standing beside her father as he held press conferences on the news regarding the matter and I became much more interested in my local politics because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment